April 3, 2012

Texas 70.3

What a different feeling going into my first race this season in comparison to last year.  Much more relaxed -amazing what a year can bring!  My viewpoint of racing has changed immensely in just one season racing the professional division and I am excited to apply what I've learned. 


The first race of the season is often a reminder of the many details of racing - not to mention travel logistics.  There were many errors made on my part in this category, so read along and learn from my mistakes:

My Bob-Duncan-stunt-double.  Thank you James and Randy
for helping

  • Rule #1: Review your packing list and make sure you have all the necessary race gear and that it is in good condition.   
    • Fail.  I forgot my race belt and my extra pair of goggles had a broken strap...so when I dropped my good pair in the ocean the day before the race (...and they sunk) I didn't have a good backup.  Hello expo!! 
  • Rule #2: Test your race gear before you travel.  If you have not raced since last season, gear details may have changed or need to be updated/replaced.
    • Fail.  New bike = different packing logistics.  Different race wheels = 1. Bike computer magnet missing; 2. Wheels not fitting correctly = crash course via phone with Bob on bike maintenance.  
  • Rule #3: Don't try anything new on race day that you haven't trialed already.
    • Fail.  I knew my shoes would require Yankz for a fast T1, but didn't switch them until the day before the race.  WAY TOO TIGHT!
Race Report

Swim: Overcast morning = able to see the buoys better.  Water temp allowed me to wear my Aquaman Cell Gold.  We had a water start 4 minutes behind the male pros, the gun went off and a couple of us surged to the front.  There were 2 leading, then our small pack of 3-4 just behind them navigating the triangle-shaped course.  The back stretch seemed to take forever, I started getting tired but kept saying to myself, "Remember the technique you've been working on over the past 10 weeks.  Stick with it- don't give up".  Swim time 25:55 and went onto the bike in 6th place with a few girls just ahead. 


Bike: The bike course is a single, flat out-and-back along the coast.  The road conditions are wonderful but the wind is a factor!  I passed 3 ladies early on in the bike, but held my position as we battled a headwind for 28 miles.  I settled in my aerobars of my new bike - no power meter...no odometer...  just going off "feel".  Legs started screaming somewhere along the way, but I decided not to listen to them.  Bike split = 2:26 hitting T2 in 4th or 5th (not certain). 

Paul Phillips / Competitive Image
Run: The run course is a complicated 3-loop course, but the volunteers directed us wonderfully.  My Brooks PureFlow are so comfortable...when you don't have your Yankz pulled too tight.  Feet went numb around mile #2.  The first lap was right on target pace and I was praying my typical even splitting would take over.  Not the case - the wheels came OFF!  It was a struggle to finish the last 6 miles as I kept telling myself, "You are fine.  Just think of it as a training run when you are fatigued."  Run split: 1:38


Overall Finish: 12th.  I'm happy with the first 60 miles of the 70.3 race.  Just have to figure out the last couple miles :)
Congrats to everyone this weekend: Katrina, April, James, Janet, and Sylvia
Race Positives:
1. New Nutrition at aid stations is EXACTLY what I already use!  GU chomps and Bonk Breakers in my GelHammock.  I was a very happy girl :)
2. Met new friends from Atlanta area - thank you for everything and hope to see you at future races this season.
3. Cobwebs cleared out and I will be better prepared for my next race.
4. This race, while it was good, was not my limit.  I know where and how to focus my training over the next weeks/months to continue making improvements.
5. New bike maintenance learned by force.  I've avoided it long enough...time to learn! 
6. TriBikeTransport...such a blessing and stress reliever :)


I'm going to talk with my coach this week about where we go next!  Can't wait!! 
miss

ps...I didn't meet Lance but it sounds like he had a similar day to mine...tough run

No comments:

Post a Comment