February 27, 2012

Irreversible Change - Marine Corps Trials #2

"Some choices are irreversible and some cause irreversible change". 

The 2012 Marine Corps Trials are finished - congratulations to the team of 50 athletes chosen to represent at the Warrior Games in April. What an experience! I met some incredible people and hope to stay connected with this program. 


Awesome view of a swim start - David Chirinos
enters the water with a great streamline! 


The archery competition went as planned even after
all the equipment was stolen just days before trials began. 


Cycling included upright, hand cycle, and recumbant bikes.


Track events included both long distance and sprint events


Seated volleyball - one "cheek" must be in contact with
the floor at all times. 


Shooting had multiple categories: rifle (prone and upright) and pistol.
Accuracy was recorded via computerized screen. 


Wheelchair basketball games were intense!  People flipping backwards,
landing on the floor, crashing into one another...


I did not get to see many events in person due to time spent
at the pool, but I did catch the final events of the track competition.




It's tough leaving such a positive environment, returning to "the grind" of everyday life. This community exemplified support and encouragement in the face of uncertainty and negative circumstances. I hope to emulate the selfless acts and willing spirits, and long for the camaraderie I witnessed in these few short days. 


We worked hard in the pool but also took
time to enjoy the experience

At the pool practicing streamlines. The athletes were expected
to practice the highest level of technique to maximize efficiency. 

Service dogs assist in more ways than just physical.
Kionte Storey was one of many with a dog this week. 

The basketball team was led by top of line coaches
from all over the country.


The team from Netherlands.  They brought wisdom, energy, a competitive spirit,
fun, and hard work to the table.  Good to spend time getting to know you!
Best of luck to you all!


The French team was a delight to spend time with - willing to learn,
very coachable, and always joking with one another.  Interpreters erased the
language barrier and allowed us to share experiences with one another.  






It is easy to disconnect from opportunities when our path is uncertain, redirected, or not what we expected. We all have dreams we push aside because of fear. I often wonder "What would happen if _____ (insert any undesirable life situation here)? How would I respond? What would I change about my life? How would I cope?" After this week I realize I am the only one who can put a limit to the circumstances and experiences in my life. 


Joe Townsend - also an Ironman UK finisher.

Swimming events included 50m Free, 100m Free,
50m back, and 4x50m Free relay.


Shot Put

Robert Norman adapts how he draws back the bow.

Paul de Gelder's accuracy was not
effected by the shark attack

Manuel Ramirez pushed hard in
the 1500m track event



















In the triathlon world speed, publicity, and rank are rewarded. Don't get me wrong, winning feels great. Meeting a goal offers such a sense of relief and accomplishment. I thrive with structure and goals. But often valuable qualities are lost or forgotten when winning is the focus. There has to be a balance. Let's emphasize the journey rather than the outcome. I'm not suggesting a lack of intensity or squelching the drive inside us to excel. Instead I am reminding us to evaluate the quality of our actions as we meet dreams we once thought were impossible. 

No lack of intensity here.

Josue Barron is a phenomenal ball player

Pistol events

Chuck Sketch is not only a double amputee,
he also is blind. 

Joe lapped his competition in this event. 

6 comments:

  1. I shared your blog with the girls and we took some time to review all your pictures and posts. Kaylah said to me "Mommy Im really proud of Missy, she helps a lot of people" We are all very proud and honored to know you. You have done tremendous things for Kaylah and all of us. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously this experience has changed my perspective. It is something I have wanted to do for so long - mold my athletic, coaching, and therapeutic background. I hope your family is doing well. See you in a couple weeks :)

      Delete
  2. I have tears! What an awesome opportunity for everyone involved. Tutu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These guys were handed such a gift. Major Susie Start was the person who created this project 3 years ago. I'd say it has been a success, wouldn't you? I'll share more stories with you when I get back

      Delete
  3. josue barron is my husband, thankyou for the awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get to spend as much time observing the other sports as I wish, but I did see a couple BB games. HE IS AMAZING!! (ok...maybe I'm amazed b/c I am terrible at BB, but...) You could feel his intensity on the court.

      Delete