April 21, 2012

Superfood: Chia Seeds - MILA

Here is a quick summary of the nutrition changes I've made over the past 6 months:
  1. Eliminate empty calories
  2. Eliminate unnecessary sugars
  3. Insert vegetables whenever possible
  4. Insert "super-foods"
The first 2 items essentially are a self-control factor, and all require you to make a conscious effort when grocery shopping.  The new recipes I've tried (many thanks to Pinterest) have made changing some old habits much easier. 

#4 Super Foods - what does this mean?  I am talking about those foods that are packed with multiple health benefits.  Topping the list of foods I've added to my diet include: (click on the words to learn health benefits; click on "recipe" to learn how to make these great dishes)

recipe


Sweet Potato:  Sweet potato black bean burger








recipe



Edamame:  Lime ginger quinoa salad with edamame, cucumber, and shrimp







recipe


Avocado:  Guacamole bruschetta







recipe


Chia Seeds:  Overnight, No-cook oatmeal






I'd never heard of Chia Seeds until talking with elite Ohio triathlete Bryan Krabbe.  He introduced me to this food and I did some research.  Last month I was introduced to Mila, a provider of raw chia seeds.  (There are differences when using raw versus already-ground seeds.)  Mila chia seeds "have the highest and safest combination of omega-3 fatty acids, proteins, antioxidants, fiber and phytonutrients of any source on the planet". 


Mila's website

This past month I experimented adding the seeds in various recipes (nothing to it really....just add a scoop or two and enjoy).  Here are my favorites:
  1. Oatmeal - oatmeal, non-fat cottage cheese, banana, walnuts, chia seeds
  2. Sweet potato pancakes - spread some almond butter on top...mmm
  3. Water or juice - allow the seeds to sit a while and absorb the liquid for hydration benefits
  4. Smoothie - mix any of your favorite ingredients and enjoy!
The only caution I will provide: clean up chia seeds with a paper towel.  I used a sponge and **poof**  the sponge was forever embedded with plump chia seeds :) 


miss

No comments:

Post a Comment