March 26, 2011

Race Schedule 2011 (part one)

I would argue that a strong mental game is just as important as the physical talents we bring to the line.  This applies to anything in life really.  Don’t agree? 
·         How do you handle pain?
·         Can you hold it together when things go wrong? 
·         What motivates you to push harder?
·         Can you dig deep or do you stay comfortable?
·         Are you willing to put it on the line and risk the chance of failure?
·         What do you consider a success?
·         Do you stick to a plan?
·         What goes through your mind during a race?
These are just a few things going through my mind as the season quickly approaches.  I’ve been way out of my comfort zone mentally (and physically) the past 6 months.  I remember a sports psychologist in high school encouraging us to seek creative opportunities outside our comfort zones- we had fun with that challenge.  (For those of you who don’t know me well I am a creature of habit, I try to keep things under control, and I avoid drama whenever possible.) 
These past months have been all about change, stress, uncertainty, and decision making.  There are people voicing their opinions about training methods, what distance I should race, which races to sign up for, etc.  Let me just say it’s been interesting listening to the opinions and comments.   Everyone sharing their advice comes from a different perspective with different motives.   This mental stress is a heavy weight, and I assume it can only intensify once racing begins.  The tough part is recalibrating my mind to be patient and embrace the changes, knowing there is value in lessons learned.   
Race Schedule (tentative… things always change!)
April 17- Miami (Ohio) Sprint tri HFP (local race)
May 1- St Anthony's
May 15- either New Orleans 5150 or Knoxville Rev3
May 22- Memphis in May
June 19- Washinton DC 5150
June 26- Philadelphia Lifetime
We’ll see where we go after the first half of the season.  “But Missy, you do better at the long distance races."  Quite possibly, but the shorter distance is allowing me to race more often, focus on power and speed, and learn aspects of the sport I’ve never experienced.  "But Missy, this schedule is so different than what you're used to.  Shouldn't you stick to what you've done in the past?" Maybe.  Never know til you try!  Variety is the spice of life, right? 
miss

4 comments:

  1. Ooo! Perhaps we'll see you in Philly or DC! You're also more than welcome to crash at our place since we're in-between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy...u r awesome! Thinking of doing the dctri myself! Am I aloud to talk with the pros?! Hope things are well

    ReplyDelete
  3. @kaylie: I'd love to stop by between races! I'm staying w/ my cousin for the DC race and another racer in Philly. Let's plan something

    @mike: do the DC race and talk to anyone your heart desires :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to do awesome! And yes, we never know until we try!!

    ReplyDelete