March 6, 2011

Treadmill training

First off, let’s give a shout out to those Buckeyes!  Both men and women’s swimming taking 3rd place at Big Ten’s.  Men’s basketball topping the rankings heading into March Madness.  Go Bucks! 
(Kona 2006 Underwear Run- yeah baby!) 
Ohio is starting to see the first signs of spring: the snow has melted, flowers are peeking through the ground, thunderstorms have begun, and we've got 30-40 degrees somewhat consistently.  Hmmmm… still not my ideal, but I’ll take it.  For many, it’s not time to part from the stationary equipment just yet.  Many people are forced indoors due to time constraints, weather, family commitments, or shortage of daylight hours.  I love my Computrainer for indoor workouts!  It allows for variety, simulates familiar race courses, and allows you to track your training data.  My brother did a chunk of his IM Louisville training on one.  But what about the treadmill?  How can you make running in place not only more exciting but beneficial to your training?  I asked Ed Alyanak – running coach, E2 short course tri coach, fellow elite triathlete, and letter "Y" in the picture above – for some treadmill workout suggestions for those still stuck inside. 
Progressions: Start very slow and increase the pace every 0.5 miles by 0.3 mph until you can't go faster (Maybe do this twice - the second time every 0.25 miles)
Pyramids: Warm up then do a pyramid starting around a normal good day run effort and increasing to 5k effort and back down by time or distance Ex. (8.0mph, 8.5, 9.0, 9.5, 10.0, 9.5, 9.0, 8.5, 8.0) each for 0.25 -0.5 miles
Intervals: Combine gradient and speed to get desired effort 4-12 x 2-4:00 at tempo effort w/ 1-2:00 easy rest (not jogging)
And if that doesn’t help, try my rock star nephew’s treadmill workout.  Ditch your running shoes for a good pair of hockey skates- time for some intervals. 

Louis is a defenseman for the '02 Jackets- Little Caesar's League Champions!  Go Lou!

As for me, I'm escaping the midwest and heading to Tucson, AZ for a couple days.  TriSports is putting on "trifest"- I can't wait!  Long weekend meeting new people, buying new gear, swimming outdoors, and climbing mountains.  Boom-shaka-laka!  No need for a treadmill out there :)

happy training
miss

1 comment:

  1. Hey Missy, that's what I exactly do on the tread mill... so I was doing it right, but why am I still slow?

    ReplyDelete