January 26, 2011

Blue Swan

This past week I watched an underwater video clip.  Daniel Smith caught this while getting some underwater swimming footage (which is an invaluable tool to help with swimming efficiency by the way.  I would recommend having it done.  However, do not refer to this clip for proper swim technique).  Here is the link to his website and the video I am referring to:
Video : “the blue swan”- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N64wS7vM428
I’ll admit my first reaction was to laugh.  Then I started thinking: how far out of his comfort zone is this man?  I wondered- is he discouraged by being lapped by the faster swimmers or has he discovered the satisfaction that comes after completing a workout and making an effort towards reaching his goals? The important thing was that he was out there.  I’m typing this after watching one of my favorite shows, “The Biggest Loser”.  I know it's reality television and they’ve choreographed the shows to pull every ounce of sweat and emotion for ratings, but I love it!  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched that show and felt guilty that I didn’t push myself harder during some of my own workouts. 
We all are on the same playing field when it comes to some things.  It’s hard to eat right when they make so many tasty ice cream flavors.  I hit the snooze button and put off a workout until the evening in the winter time.  It’s hard to get out of a warm bed and voluntarily bring on the pain of another workout.  But I guess it’s all a matter of keeping your goals in perspective.  It doesn’t matter your level of fitness- whether it be weight loss, getting healthy or pushing your body to new limits.  Does walking into a gym seem overwhelming or did you sign up for your first long distance race?  If reaching your goals is important, make the adjustments in order to reach them.  Hindsight is usually 20/20, and we all agree change is typically exactly what we need to grow.  I’ve made a lot of changes for the 2011 season.  My perspective is going to be blown out the water come April.  But I am excited about it! (nervous…wait, excited.)  I began struggling with some of the higher octane training but am excited to see it coming around and can’t wait to see how far it’ll be pushed!
Rock on blue swan!  You’ve been an encouragement to me!
miss

2 comments:

  1. Miss,
    thanks for the uplifing post, and I am so grateful for all of my blessings in life, I felt bad posting this video to begin with, but it actually inspired me too.
    Huge congrats to you for your honest leap into the Big pond and best to you in your new found Pro lifestyle Sister..ROCK ON to You!

    PS: I actually befriended this guy after now seeing him every week doing his thing,and I am offering him what encouragement I can when i do see him fight through his personal reality.! Blessings~
    Daniel Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in the pool this morning and a lady was trying to spark a conversation during my swim sets. I am rather focused in the pool and only had a couple words to share. I thought about this guy/post and made a point to talk to them after getting out of the pool. Didn't want them to think I was irritated by them- I just don't talk much in the pool. It's good to know the people around you.
    miss

    ReplyDelete