January 16, 2011

Recalibrating

(Big thanx to Amy for helping me get this started :)  BTW if anyone is looking for a great  photographer, she is your girl!!  She's amazing : http://www.photosbyamymcswegin.blogspot.com/

Yay, snow days!!

As many of you know, I've decided to up the challenge (as if the challenge of a triathlon itself isn't enough) and race in the professional field in 2011.  It's been funny to hear the comments when I tell people about my decision.  Here are some of my favorite responses:

1.  It's about time!  (maybe so)
2.  So I guess you aren't dating that guy anymore... (nope.  btw: I heard this more than once. funny)
3.  I didn't know they had professional triathletes  (uh, yeah.  do you watch the olympics?)
4.  Are you racing Kona this year?  (no)
5.  Thank goodness- now you're out of my age group.  (sweet- now I get to race wicked fast women)
6.  Why?  (lots of thought went into this decision...)

2010 was a year full of changes and wild stories to share.  My racing season was challenging, but I couldn't have asked for a better season.  E2 group decided to focus on the Rev3 series (Knoxville, Quassy, and Cedar Point).  The group had numerous PR's and great races.  I thought the series was wonderful- hats off to Rev3 for putting on organized, interesting races at great venues. 

So, why race as a professional?  Why now, after all these years?  Why decide to change everything after such a great season (including the fact that I am going to focus on short/mid distance events instead of long distance races- more thought went into that decision than most would supppose)?  I can come up with all sorts of reasons NOT to make these changes or race in the pro field.  What if I come in last place?  What if I don't get any sponsors?  What if I made the wrong decision and suck at shorter races?  What if I can't workout the way I think I should?  What if it starts to feel like a job?  Why keep focusing so hard on this one area of my life- shouldn't I focus on other things?  What if....? (and the list goes on)

But what if I love it....  (cricket cricket) ...you got me there.  Well, let's just give it a shot then.  Welcome "small fish in a big pond" status and start recalibrating.   

I plan to post weekly so keep checking in- I'll post a link on FB also.   Get the inside scoop from races, see where I plan on racing this season, meet my teammates/coaches/family, maybe some yummy recipes- hope to have stories to beat last year's, though that may be tough  :)

miss

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you've decided to go pro! I'm excited to hear all about your adventures:)

    ReplyDelete