October 30, 2011

2 New Goals


After racing Pocono 70.3, I considered whether or not to add one more race.  Who wants to end their season with a cold, rainy tri-... wait, duathlon?  I'd go 2-3 days thinking, "Yeah, I can gut out one more race".  Then I'd sleep in, or skip a workout, the quality of my workouts was declining, work commitments were multiplying, etc...  My mind and body were trying to tell me to stop and rest.  I finally made the decision to shut things down because I didn't want a mediocre race.  In order for me to meet and exceed my expectations, I need to be focused, motivated, and pushing the boundaries.  (Thanx to my coaches who went along with my crazy idea to try one more... even when they knew better.  Maybe you knew I'd only last a little while before throwing in the towel)  :)

So, here we are.  Ahhhh... after pulling the plug, I know I made the right decision. 


So far, a week and a half of "do whatever I feel like doing" and I'm lovin' it!  People ask me what I do during the off season.  My first weekend off I wandered the autumn festivals sipping on a chai tea, latte, or spiced cider.  I am a firm believer in rest and recovery.  Your body needs it, that's completely understood.  Your mind needs time away from HR monitors, watts, time clocks, strategy, schedules, competition...agh! 


I have given myself 2 off season goals.  (C'mon... I can't escape the fact that I'm goal driven)   
    
    My fridge - looks much
    different these days
    
    Carrot and Parsnip
    Latkes
    
  1. Nutrition: I've known this needed to be addressed for many months.  I don't eat bad... I just could eat better.  I know how to fuel my body during a race, but I've neglected nutritional details elsewhere.  I would justify the desserts and extra helpings with my training load.  I need to be fueling my body smarter.  So, I'm trying new recipes, adding more vegetables, preparing meals/snacks ahead of time, and limiting empty calorie options. I want to develop some new habits while I have the time and energy.  I can make and freeze healthier meals/snacks with my free time in prep for those busy training weeks. 

Zucchini bread - easy to make
and freeze homemade breads

Sweet Potato pancakes -
a great "on-the-go"
snack when I'm running
late for work



Light Bulgar w/ Salmon,
Asparagus, and Walnuts

2.  Strength: I haven't lifted in years.  Many people are surprised by this, but it was the first thing eliminated when running/biking became more important.  Recently I've spent a couple visits with Mark at Messerfit in Lebanon, OH.  Earlier this season he helped me focus on core strengthening.  Now, he has managed to SHRED my legs in under an hour with only 5 exercises.  (Let's be honest: I couldn't finish the 5th due to fatigue).  Hmmm...  that can't be good.  Let's spend some time preparing for next season and gain back some strength.

I am really excited to see how these decisions impact next season. 

miss

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for off season. You have been kicking ass, you deserve a break!!! I started lifting/plyometrics about 4 weeks ago and man am I sore. But it is good for us!!! Hopefully I will see you at the races next year!!!

    ReplyDelete