June 2, 2011

Not Just Plain Rice

I moved to Dayton 11 years ago for my 3rd clinical in Occupational Therapy at Dayton Children's and have been working there ever since.  I had only done a handful of triathlons at this point (1-2 olympic distance races a summer...on a Trek hybrid) but once I got my first tri-bike I was hooked and started racing more.  I quickly met and started training with other racers in the area.   I've never pictured myself living in Dayton quite as long as I have but the people I've met through work, church and triathlon, have been the reason I've stayed in town. 


Squirrel, Kromer, Scuba, and Amy (guys and nicknames...?) 


Over the past 8 months 4-5 of us have been meeting once a week for dinner.  Each week one of us cooks a meal for the group at their house.  We alternate weeks and throw in a "restaurant week" every now and again. 





The majority of us live within a couple miles of each other so we can walk, bike, or drive (depending on the weather).  So far we have had some amazing dinners!  I'm not saying each meal is low calorie and diet friendly, but we've had a great time relaxing and unwinding from the day.


Many discussions have the "what's said here, stays here" stamp, but conversation returns to our common link at some point throughout the evening.  I look forward to our get-togethers each week not only for the good food but spending time relaxing with friends away from training/racing.


We have not repeated any meals, so our creative juices and cooking skills have been put to the test. Do you tend to buy or fix the same meals over and over?  Sometimes it's hard to eat healthy and have variety at the same time - especially if you are only cooking for one.  Simplicity in meal planning often prevails when working with a busy schedule.  I did a comparison of some grains (all readily available at local groceries) to add variety to your meals.  Who wants to keep eating plain rice, right?  Variety is the spice of life!  Read over the details and see how each of these might fit into your diet, depending on your need for calories, protein, carbohydrates, etc.  (serving size = 1cup, cooked)

FOODCALORIESFATPROTEINSODIUMFIBERCARBSIRON
white rice2420g4g0mg1g53g15%
brown rice2182g5g2mg4g46g6%
spelt (aka farro)2462g11g10mg8g51g18%
bulgur1510g6g9mg8g34g10%
couscous1760g6g8mg2g36g3%
quinoa2224g8g13mg5g39g15%
oatmeal1664g6g9mg4g32g12%
wild rice1661g7g5mg3g35g5%


enjoy :)
miss


4 comments:

  1. Missy. Couldn't resist checking out your blog! Fun chatting on the return trip from Colorado. Thanks for the swimming tips. Anxious to give it a try this week. Good luck with all the upcoming races.

    Bill Hoffman
    bhoffman@remtecautomation.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to meet you! Best of luck at Pike's Peak later this season. Hope you are well rested after the late arrival...I went to work on very little sleep. Let me know if you need any swim tips (btw: order some fins from TriSports and let me know when you need a lesson).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Missy. Wow, TriSports has a lot of fins. Any reccomendations? The last ones I borrowed from a friend were very abrasive on the skin and I had to stop using them. Impressive you made it to work after that flight (not me). A lesson would be great after I get going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use the Alpha Swim Fins- they are super lightweight and don't hurt your heels.
    Other good ones would be either the TYR flexfins or the Finis Zoomers- these might be better for you to help stretch out those "runner ankles" :) Zoomers won't help propel as much as the TYR but will still help develop a good kick base

    ReplyDelete